Theory of Constraints Checklist
Checklist to be used to deploy a sequence of improvement projects to address a resource constraint in a system.
- What is/are your system's resource constraint(s)?
- In what ways can you exploit the system's constraint? What projects can you deploy to minimize the waste of the constraint?
- In what ways can you subordinate everything else to the above projects that target the constraint? What projects can you deploy to maximize throughput of the constraint?
- In what ways can you elevate, or lift the restriction, of the constraint? What projects can provide additional resources to the constraint?
- Through these steps has your system's constraint been addressed? If so, return to the first question.
Eliyahu M. Goldratt. "The Haystack Syndrome: Sifting Information Out of the Data Ocean". (North River Press, 1990), p. 59-63.