PRINCE2 is a process-based approach for project management, providing an easily tailored and scalable project management methodology for the management of all types of projects. The method is the de-facto standard for project management in the UK and is practised worldwide. Prince2 has a long history dating back to 1975.
- 1975: PROMPT II Created
- 1979: PROMPT II introduced as UK Government standard for project management, supported by CCTA
- 1989: PRINCE name adopted
- 1996: PRINCE 2 launched
- 1997: Prince2 Process model added
- 2002: Prince2 3rd edition published
- 2004: Prince2 4th edition published
- 2009: Major revision of Prince2 manual
Prince2 is considered by most a public domain methodology since anyone is allowed to use it freely and anyone can get access to it (for a somewhat reasonable fee to purchase the manual and related documents).
The current (2009) manual is set up as follows:
- Product Description outlines
- Roles and responsibilities
- Product-based planning example
- Health Check (See also our project management checklists)